The Legal Process – After the Ceremony

Here are some things you need to take care of after the ceremony.

  • You will only receive the Official Marriage Certificate upon application.
  • Applications can be made online (click here), by mail or in person to the Government via the Vital Statistics Division.
  • The application costs $30
  • You don’t have to apply for the Official Certificate but you will need it if you are planning on changing your name.
  • Changing your name is not automatic nor is a simple process.
  • You have to contact all companies, organizations and government agencies that you deal with separately.
  • It is recommended to start with government agencies including your Driver`s Licence, Passport, MCP and SIN before other organizations.
  • Be mindful when making travel plans that your passport matches your travel documents.